I'm boycotting all social media platforms, owned by Facebook and others, until further U.S. legislation is passed to regulate and hold these private corporations accountable for violating global democracies via surveillance capitalism.
Silicon Valley corporations utilize Surveillance Capitalism by:
1. mining personal user data for ad revenue
2. tracking users’ locations for the purpose of accumulating behavioral data to be exchanged in global futures markets
3. creating behavioral modifications in consumers that serve to benefit corporate interests
4. supplanting the press through the institution of Live Feeds prioritizing commercial interactions
5. placing users at risk by mishandling their private information
6. disrupting democratic elections without accountability
7. claiming the right to maintain the conditions that allow tech corporations to continue harvesting user data for sustaining their profits in global futures markets.
Silicon Valley corporations further institute unethical practices via Racial Capitalism by:
1. Exploiting non whiteness to the status of tokens or "trophies" for generating social and economic capital
2. Misappropriating people of color in the pursuit of diversifying their corporate identities in advertisements
3. Developing and supplying beta test technology to Immigration Customs Enforcement (ICE) and the Department of Homeland Security (DHS) to track and apprehend immigrants.
4. Enabling hate speech and extremist groups to sow radicalized fear on social media leading to extremist acts of violence against minority groups with no accountability.
I am withdrawing use of these corporate platforms until the U.S. follows suite with the European Union's General Data Protection Regulation (GDPR) to hold Silicon Valley corporations to higher ethical standards.
last update: 8/19/19